Friday, June 5, 2009

Bike Shop Employee Actually Polite, Helpful—Not Bitter Amateur Racer

Glen Lawson is fed up with the attitude he commonly encounters at the bike shops he frequents around his home in Lakewood, Colorado.

“In most shops, you’ve got an assortment of rude Cat 3 racers working,” Lawson explains. “Le Cyclery is the worst. They’re too busy recounting the last office park crit to help you find some 27” Shraeder tubes and Mr. Tuffys for your commuter. Their condescension is palpable.

“It’s like I’m bothering them to give them my money,” continues Lawson. “If you’re not there to drop thousands on some fancy carbon rig, a Campy gruppo, or some Zipp wheels, they won’t give you the time of day.”

Contrary to his experiences at Le Cyclery, Lawson commends the atmosphere he recently encountered at The Local Bike Shop. “They’re new and I figured they couldn’t be any worse, so I decided to give them a shot.”

Lawson was immediately impressed.

“Right away, I noticed a big difference. As soon as I entered the store, I was directed to sit in a big recliner by a polite clerk named Travis. While he gave me a foot rub, another clerk asked what items I was looking for. She then proceeded to retrieve what I needed for me while I got a hot towel treatment and a chair massage. The whole time, the kids were going nuts in their professionally staffed ‘KidZone.’

But the great experience didn’t end there.

“After a cappuccino at their oxygen bar, I was ready to check out. But they have some crazy loyalty program, too. Combined with their grand opening promotion, not only did I leave the store without paying for anything, I somehow now have $167 in store credit. Unbelievable!

“I also got some free water bottles and candy for the kids. When I got out to my car, it had been washed and waxed. Later, Travis swung by the house to drop off a tray of homemade enchiladas for dinner. I mean, when was the last time you got service like that?”

Sadly, The Local Bike Shop was short-lived.

“I was definitely planning to give them more of my business, but when I stopped by for some Tri-Flow a few days later, the place was boarded up. What a bummer. I guess it’s true what they say. The brightest light burns the briefest.

“But now what’s my $167 worth?!? They’ll definitely be hearing from my attorney!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bookmark and Share